SQL/ASP: Not returning full text

Thread: SQL/ASP: Not returning full text

Default SQL/ASP: Not returning full text

I have a form where a user can input a description of a training course. They enter a descriptive paragraph and it inserts into SQL just fine.<BR><BR>When I try to retrieve the text from SQL only a portion of it will appear. In SQL, all of the text is there.<BR><BR>Any idea what may cause this?

Neil Popham Guest

Default RE: SQL/ASP: Not returning full text

a couple of thoughts...<BR><BR>1. your database field will not accept strings longer than a certain length (eg: it is a text field in Access and will not accept strings longer than 255 characters)<BR>2. the database has recorded the full string, but there is some problem when displaying the string in HTML (eg: spurious html tag in string)<BR><BR>please check these, and if i&#039m way off mark please post:<BR><BR>* your field type<BR>* the value entered for the field<BR>* your SQL statement<BR>* the string you are able to retrieve

Nasser Dassi Guest

Default RE: SQL/ASP: Not returning full text

Hello,<BR> A possibility is that in your ASP page, the size of the data being requested is not specified (or too small).<BR> To resolve this, first we must know how you are retrieving the data (SQL statement, stored procedure... command object, recordset object... via output parameters)? And is it SQL Database or Access? :o)<BR> Thanks... this additional information should help in figuring this out.<BR><BR>- Nasser Dassi<BR>Beliefnet<BR>Lead ASP Programmer<BR>All Around Nice Guy<BR>Just Cool Like That :o)

Default Figured it out, need help

Ok, in SQL 7 - it is storing the entire 1000+ characters, however, when retrieving the text to the asp page - it only returns 255 characters.<BR><BR>I have done a little searching and reading and found that my ODBC drivers need to be update. Great, now where do I find those? Usually you can download MDAC from Microsoft - but I have been unsuccessful.<BR><BR>Any ideas? <BR><BR>My SQL box is seperate from my IIS box. SQL 7 and IIS 4 is the configuration. Do you think installing Enterprise Manager on the IIS box will solve the problem? SP5 is on IIS4 and SP6 is on SQL.<BR><BR>TJ

Default RE: Figured it out, need help

I guess my thinking is that if you can get it there using that ODBC, then you should be able to get it back out using the same one.<BR>If your using stored procedures...define it HUGE.<BR>objCmd.Parameters.Append objCmd.CreateParameter("comp_desc", adLongVarChar, adParamInput, 3200, desc)<BR><BR>latest MDAC<BR>www.microsoft.com/data<BR><BR>HTH,<BR>DRUG_DEALER