Bill Wilkinson

Thread: Bill Wilkinson

Default Bill Wilkinson

Mr.Bill Wilkinson<BR><BR> Its nice that today I able to see your name in forum<BR>yesterday you were not there.<BR> Could you please help me I want to know how to restrict <BR>a webpage access to users. I planned to have a dialog box asking<BR>username & password I mean whenever somebody will type<BR>this URl i.e a dialog box should <BR>come first and then if it is okay he can see the all info.<BR> But funny thing is that I don&#039;t know how to desing this<BR><BR> Please reply soon<BR><BR>Waiting here<BR>Tanveer

Default Bill won't be here for a while

He works on US-time, not UK/European time, so he&#039;s probably tucked up warm in bed someplace. Sorry.<BR><BR>However, I&#039;ll interject, if that&#039;s ok.<BR><BR>If you want the classic "NT challenge/response" dialog (the grey box asking for username/password), you&#039;re going to have to have access to the server. The simplest way is to create a user inside Windows, then to change the security on the directory you want to secure so that only "Administrators" and the new user have access. Be sure not to remove the Administrators group, just in case.<BR><BR>If you&#039;re running on Unix, then you can do the same kind of thing using the .htaccess file.<BR><BR>However, the problem with these two methods is that you must set up an NT user for each and every username/password you wish to have access to this area. A more flexible solution is to have a database which contains the valid usernames and passwords. If a user logs in correctly through a login page, you set a session variable, e.g. Session("loggedin") = True. You then add a piece of code to the top of each page to force the login. e.g.<BR>&#060;%<BR>if Session("loggedin") &#060;&#062; True then<BR> Response.Redirect("login.asp")<BR> Response.End<BR>end if<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Does that help any?

Default And there are SO many tutorials...

...and web pages that talk about all this!<BR><BR>Including several on 4GuysFromRolla. Heck, 4Guys has a page that is nothing but links to other pages on this subject:<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>