Iterating through a dictionary

Thread: Iterating through a dictionary

Default Iterating through a dictionary

could someone tell me what is wrong with this code? I&#039;m getting this error. Thanks.<BR><BR>Microsoft VBScript runtime error &#039;800a000d&#039; <BR>Type mismatch: &#039;intValue&#039; <BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>x = 0<BR>k = objDict.Keys<BR>For i = 0 To objDict.Count - 1 <BR> intValue(x) = k(i) & "br tag" <BR>x = x + 1<BR>Next<BR>%&#062;<BR>

Default RE: Iterating through a dictionary

intValue isn&#039;t an array or collection.<BR><BR>-Doug

Default And also...

You have named your array variable intValue but then you proceed to store strings into it. Why call it "int" anything if it will store strings? <BR><BR>You are using the variable x which has exactly the same value as the loop variable i. Why?<BR><BR>[Okay, neither of these are errors, per se, but I see *SO* many people doing this. Where are you all learning this from??? What&#039;s wrong with just doing:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>k = objDict.Keys<BR>Dim vals<BR>ReDim vals( objDict.count-1 )<BR>For i = 0 To objDict.Count - 1 <BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; vals(i) = k(i) & "br tag" <BR>Next<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>But as long as I&#039;m quibbling: Why bother doing this AT ALL???<BR><BR>If you want an array of all the keys in the dictionary...well, you already have one! As you just demonstrated!<BR><BR>k<BR><BR>What in the world is the difference between vals(i) and k(i) ???<BR><BR>Why bother creating the second array???<BR><BR>