asp.NET many of you have looked into it? go

Thread: asp.NET many of you have looked into it? go

Default asp.NET many of you have looked into it? go

I am still overwhelmed by asp 3.0, let alone asp.NET =D<BR><BR>for those of you that have looked at it already, how do you find it? I glanced at some documents on it and it seems quite complicated. I learnt (started using) asp 3.0 by reading a few books, can asp.NET be learnt the same way?<BR><BR>what&#039;s so good about it?

Default RE: asp.NET many of you have looked into it

Of course you can learn it from reading, but I personally wouldn&#039;t buy any books until it is released - don&#039;t want a book on the Beta 2.0 version really in case of any subtle changes.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve not looked into it much (started, then got Visual Studio .NET and suddenly work took off like a rocket, so haven&#039;t managed to play yet), however it seems very good.<BR><BR>It&#039;s not very complicated if you are used to creating VB projects. Typing all your variables and things becomes second nature after a while.<BR><BR>There are three main things I love about it:<BR>1) Speed increase. All pages are compiled once the first time they are called, and then the compiled versions are executed for subsequent calls - meaning the system does not have to compile and execute for each request, resulting in a very fast speed increase.<BR>2) Memory management. ASP.NET will automatically find any memory leaks, etc and spawn all new processes in new memory spaces. Onces it thinks the old processes are no longer needed, it frees the memory up.<BR>3) Application-specific DLL files don&#039;t require you to stop and start the server (or application) before new versions are loaded into memory. That means you can recompile new DLL files directly into the /bin directory and they&#039;ll be automatically picked up by the application and used.<BR><BR>Plus it runs side-by-side with "normal" ASP.<BR><BR>Oh, and the data handler components. Didn&#039;t get my head around them last time - no connections and recordsets any more. Apparently faster and easier to use than standard ADO too - you can cache recordsets to speed up frequently-accessed sites/pages.<BR><BR>Seriously - check out<BR><BR>Craig.