Multiple users for an Access Database

Thread: Multiple users for an Access Database

Default Multiple users for an Access Database

I have a MS Access database which stores employee information for a company.. I use many different ASP pages with this database to allow numerous secretaries to create reports.. today when the project went "live," I kept getting provider errors in this form:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039<BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file&#039(unknown)&#039. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.<BR><BR>---<BR><BR>The permissions aren&#039t a problem.. they are set correctly on the server.. I was wondering what could keep multiple users from reading from the database at the same time.. in the Access database the default open condition is "shared" not "exclusive". If you have any ideas, please let me know. Maybe it could be something in the way I open the database. My code for opening the DB is:<BR><BR>set RS = server.creatobject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>connectme = "DSN=employeedb"<BR>SQLstmt = "Select * FROM addressbook"<BR>rs.open SQLstmt, connectme<BR><BR>Any help you can give is MUCH appreciated!! THanks<BR>

Default RE: Multiple users for an Access Database

Did you have the access database opened through Access during the day? Are you closing/freeing your recordset and connection objects? (See http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/060999-2.shtml.) Did you specify a login name/password in the Access DSN setup process?