Pulling dynamic content from database

Thread: Pulling dynamic content from database

Default Pulling dynamic content from database

Hello everyone..<BR><BR>I need a suggestion on something I am trying to do..<BR><BR>I am developing a site and I am planning on storing the actual HTML content of the pages in a database. Then I am planning on creating an asp page (e.g. /show.asp?PageID=10) that essentially (given the right ID) will display that content. This is fairly straightforward and it suits what I am trying to do. (sites such as http://www.sqlteam.com use such a method for their site)<BR><BR>My problem is that I would like to add the capability of storing ASP pages as well in the database. The problem is pretty obvious in that if I store asp code in the database it is never given the chance to be "evaluated" by the web server before delivered to the client...<BR><BR>Does anyone have any suggestions on a way around this problem? (Is there a way to force the web server after it evaluates the first asp page (show.asp) to re-evaluate again before delivering to the client)?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Chris<BR><BR>P.S. I am using IIS 5.0 and SQL Server 7.0.. This is an intranet site so all the clients will be using Internet Explorer 5+

Default Response.Redirect or...

Server.Transfer.<BR><BR>*After* you pull the content from the DB and then store it in a temp file (ASP page) using FSO, then you can transfer the person to that temp ASP page.<BR><BR>Of course, now you have a bunch of ASP pages cluttering up the disk. No problem. Have them delete themselves as the last thing they do.<BR><BR>But...<BR><BR>If these pages are hit frequently, this is a heluva lot of code and I/O to execute compared to simply *not* storing the pages in a DB, to begin with. If you have anything under about 1,000 pages, then I think storing the pages in a DB is silly. It&#039;s just as easy to store the page *names* in the DB and, if need be, write a little code that keeps the DB and the files (e.g., in multiple subdirectories?) in sync. And it will be a lot better from a performance standpoint.<BR><BR>