Thread: MySQL and PHP

Default MySQL and PHP

I am familiar with Access (sort of), but on my, they have MySQL and PHP. Now I am not sure what to do with this. They do not provide you with any help at all, which sucks, but I am hoping you guys will know what to do. Here is how it works...<BR>I login, then go to a board that has a link to MySql Database. I click on that link and then I get...phpMyAdmin <BR> <BR> <BR><BR>phpMyAdmin is intended to handle the adminstration of MySQL over the web. Currently it can: <BR><BR>create and drop databases <BR>create, copy, drop and alter tables <BR>delete, edit and add fields <BR>execute any SQL-statement, even batch-queries <BR>manage keys on fields <BR>load text files into tables <BR>create and read dumps of tables <BR>export data to CSV values <BR>administer multiple servers and single databases <BR>Download<BR>Download phpMyAdmin (link)<BR>So I download phpMyAdmin...and from that point on, I have no idea what to do. Do I download PHP and SQL, since this says PHP Admin, I am assuming here that it is just the administration area, and not the actual database.<BR><BR>I did download mysql-3.23.46tar(from sourceforge). I am not sure what the tar is even, that is how lost I am at this point.<BR><BR>If anyone could help me since I am desperate I would appreciate it..just remember I have no idea what I am doing. Thank you!!!<BR><BR> Please email me as well.<BR>

Default Are you trying to...

...install the stuff on your machine??? So that you can build and test it there?<BR><BR>If so, best to simply go to and download a Windows pre-built version. Forget the tar file, that has sources for a Unix/Linux build.<BR><BR>And ditto for php: -- specifically<BR><BR>Don&#039;t mess with source code builds if you don&#039;t understand make files and all that stuff! Binaries only.<BR><BR>You&#039;ve got a *steep* learning curve ahead of you! Fair warning. PHP is *very* unforgiving of errors. And it seems to have just one error message when you make a programming mistake: "Syntax error." Doesn&#039;t tell you what kind or where or or or. And even the line number it gives is often many, many lines away from the actual error.<BR><BR>On the other hand, it has some nice features. For example, you can user Request values directly, no funny stuff needed.<BR><BR>If the prior page had<BR>&#060;FORM ...&#062;&#060;INPUT Name="userName" ...&#062;...&#060;/FORM&#062;<BR>then on the PHP processing page you just code<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; $userName <BR>to get the value of that form input!<BR><BR>Syntactically, PHP is closer to JavaScript than probably anything else you are familiar with.<BR><BR>I can only suggest you go to the docs page and read, read, read, read.<BR><BR>You can read it online ( but you&#039;re probably better off downloading it. Try the Windows "Help" might "feel" better than the HTML version.<BR><BR>You could read all about MySQL on, but you can also simply read about the available MySQL-specific functions at<BR><BR><BR>Like I said, a *steep* learning curve. Debugging with PHP is harder than with ASP...and I&#039;m sure you know the ASP is not particularly debug-friendly. Take lots of deep breaths, put in lots of echo statements, and good luck.<BR><BR>