Can't load ASP pages

Thread: Can't load ASP pages

Default Can't load ASP pages

I&#039m new to ASP. I have Windows 98, FrontPage 98, and PWS. I also installed the Front Page SE through Front Page Server Administration. When I try to preview an ASP page in IE 4.0 browser, I get the File Download dialog box. If i try to link to an ASP page from an HTML page, i get the error HTTP/1.0 501 Not Supported. Can someone please help me?

Sam Otto Guest

Default RE: Can't load ASP pages

You don&#039t have the Front Page Server Extensions installed. What&#039s happending is your asking the server for an .ASP file and it doesn&#039t know what do with it so it just sends it back to your browser, the browser doesn&#039t know what it is so it asks you to save it to disk. The Server extensions will tell the server to run the .ASP file and return and HTML page back to the browser. I&#039m not sure where you get the server extensions, they may be on the front page CD or somewhere on the microsoft site...

It appears that I do have the server extensions installed. If I open FP and go to Web Settings, the FP Server Extensions Version shows 3.0.2.1706, which according to MS documentation, means they are installed. It does show that the server version is MPWS 95/2.0, and I&#039m running Windows 98. Could this cause a problem? Do you have any other suggestions?

Sam Otto Guest

Wait I just got an idea (I was just getting done writing you a lengthy note basically saying I didn&#039t have any ideas...)<BR><BR>Go into the administration part of the web server and make sure you have the directory set to be executable and not just readable. If the dir isn&#039t executable, the ASP stuff can&#039t be run...