Deployment of Web applications

Thread: Deployment of Web applications

vaonline Guest

Default Deployment of Web applications

Hi,<BR>I am currently working on a web site. Its nearing completion. I am using VSS for maintaining the asp pages and the solution file.<BR>I need help on deploying the web site. How can it be deployed to a production server? What are the options that can be pursued and what are the advantages/disadvantages or constraints associated with each of them. Can someone please throw some light on these issues?<BR>Or if you can refer to any material on the web?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions<BR><BR>Regards<BR>vaonline<BR><BR><BR>

Ian Stallings Guest

Default RE: Deployment of Web applications

At the site Im working on now we also use VSS but we don&#039t<BR>deploy directly from there to the final external web site.<BR>They ftp the files manually and then use a remote admin tool<BR>to change server settings etc.<BR><BR>I think the best solution would be to directly deploy from<BR>VSS to a production server only if the VSS files reside on a<BR>dev/testing server and have already been tested. That way<BR>when your developing you can make changes directly in VSS<BR>and see results on the dev server(after testing locally of course). <BR>Once development and testing are complete you can decide <BR>to deploy using the &#039deploy&#039 feature in VSS. You can also <BR>set up a shadow directory to copy files in VSS to another <BR>server (such as a testing environment) atuomatically when you <BR>make changes.<BR><BR>You can find more info from MS at:<BR><BR><BR><BR>In a perfect environment source control and versioning controls <BR>are working in perfect unison with the current development <BR>environment. In reality web development is a hack a minute,<BR>which way is up?, world.<BR><BR><BR>I hope this sheads a little light on the subject.<BR>Good luck,<BR>Ian Stallings<BR>