Interesting issue with multiple db's sharing

Thread: Interesting issue with multiple db's sharing

Default Interesting issue with multiple db's sharing

I am working on a project that, among other things, will be sharing customer data. There will be an sql server2000 db online with the main website. There will also be many clients running a VB application with their own access 2000 database. These clients will have internet access, but not necessarily 100% of the time. The goal is this: Every time a new customer is created on the main website and entered into the the sql server db, we want the clients to retrieve those new customers once they are connected to the web. Additionally, if a client adds a new customer, we want the sql server db to retrieve that customer. Complete sharing of info. We have a working beta of this in effect right now. So, my question is this:<BR>What is the best way to keep track of which clients need to download which customers from sql server, and which clients need to upload which customers to sql server. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Jason Vetter

Default RE: Interesting issue with multiple db's shar

Off the top of my head, this is what I&#039;m thinking.<BR><BR>Add two fields to each DB. One for the originating machine, and one to mirror the identity field of the originating machine.<BR><BR>For instance, say the SQL Server DB, and each Access DB has these fields<BR><BR>ID<BR>CustomerName<BR>Org_DB_ID<BR>O rg_DB_Name<BR><BR>Now you have a client who adds a new customer to his Access DB, and he has machine number 7.<BR><BR>He&#039;ll enter<BR><BR>ID : 10 (Autonumber)<BR>CustomerName : Bill<BR>Org_DB_ID : 10 (This mirrors the identity field)<BR>Org_DB_Name : 7 (Default - This will always be the same<BR> for records he adds, and will be a different <BR> number for any records that he downloads.)<BR><BR>Now, when he connects to the SQL Server, a script will check, and see that the last Org_DB_ID for machine number 7 that was entered was number 9, and so there is a new one to be added.<BR>This will then be entered into the SQL Server<BR><BR>ID : 15 (SQL Server Identity field)<BR>CustomerName : Bill<BR>Org_DB_ID : 10<BR>Org_DB_Name : 7<BR><BR>That was a very brief and not particular clear example, but hopefully you get the idea.<BR><BR>AP<BR><BR>