ASP file security question.

Thread: ASP file security question.

Scott Fawcett Guest

Default ASP file security question.

Hi everyone. I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer for me. I will try and keep this brief. This is the first ASP that I&#039ve been tasked to write. What I am trying to do is create a page that has files available for download. The files available should differ between different logins. I plan to use NT security on the ASP page as the security. From there it will query a database to determine what files that particular user is allowed to download. I&#039ve written this portion of it and now to the part that I am stuck on.<BR><BR>I don&#039t want to have to assign security to each file individually for each user id. I want the ASP to handle that for me. I also don&#039t want the websurfer to be able to go to the URL directly to download the file. So I am guessing that I would want to put the files available for download outside of where IIS can see it and have the ASP &#039retrieve&#039 that file and make it available for download. I hope I didn&#039t confuse anyone.<BR><BR>Any help would greatly be apreciated.

Leungas Guest

Default RE: ASP file security question.

How about...<BR><BR>Having a user table with their login name and a security access level and use that field to allow the priviledges to the files?<BR><BR>Leungas

Default RE: ASP file security question.

If you create the table recomended by leungas and then add code on the top of all the asp pages that checks for the value of a variable and on true continues to load the page but on false does a little response.redirect back to your login page. this will prevent users from entering your site via handcoding the url.<BR><BR>good luck!