question about COM+

Thread: question about COM+

Default question about COM+

Usually when I think of transactions, I think of database transactions. My understanding is that COM+ allows me to treat an entire component as a transaction so that any error, not just a database one, can cause a rollback (maybe this is wrong). In ASP, I can use the ADO Connection object to start, commit, and rollback transactions. With COM+, it seems like it should be much easier to implement transactions especially if I have COM business objects that have my ADO calls.<BR><BR>However, I&#039;m confused as to the extent of the transaction using COM+. Am I correct in assuming that the the entire class is treated as one transaction? But what if I only care about 2 database queries in one of my class functions being treated as such? Isn&#039;t this overkill?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Default RE: question about COM+

If you&#039;re only worried about 2 database queries, and they&#039;re in the same component procedure, you would probably be better off using an SQL transaction.<BR><BR>COM+ transactions allow a transaction to be defined over a set of components. For example if you have three components that call each other in succession, and the second component fails, then the activities up to that point are rolled back (including the first component&#039;s activities), if they (the components) are defined as being in a transaction.<BR><BR>That&#039;s my understanding at least.

Default I agree with Neils you

are better off using a database stored procedure in this case. Don&#039;t go the component route unless you truly need to.<BR><BR>Just my opinion.<BR><BR>Pete