Download Counter/Hits Tracker problem

Thread: Download Counter/Hits Tracker problem

Default Download Counter/Hits Tracker problem

I am using a download counter on my website. Everytime users clic a download link, i&#039;m updating the database first then redirecting them into the download link. The script itself it fine, compiled with no error. But recently, my webhost complained that my script is using &#039;EXCESSIVE&#039; resource of server. They said my script is &#039;causing damage to the server resources&#039;. I&#039;ve checked the download script many times and optimize it many times, but still the server complained, and the annoying thing is my site always been taken down when this happens. Please help me out with the script, let me know if i&#039;m using wrong methods or something.<BR><BR>Here is my download counter script :<BR>(This download counter script is used/clicked about 10000 click/day, and as you can see i&#039;m using live update on the database, when someone clicks, the database is updated rightaway, is this a problem ?)<BR><BR>&#060;% ENABLESESSIONSTATE = FALSE <BR>Response.Buffer = TRUE<BR><BR>Conn_String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.Mappath("cgi-binmydatabase.mdb")<BR><BR>set cn= Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR> (conn_string)<BR><BR>dim url_link<BR>dim click_counter<BR>url_link=request.querystring("url ")<BR><BR>sql = "SELECT count(*) as mytotal FROM software WHERE downloadurl=&#039;" & url_link & "&#039;"<BR> sql, cn, 1, 1<BR><BR>if rs("mytotal")&#062;0 then<BR> <BR> sql = "SELECT * FROM software WHERE downloadurl=&#039;" & url_link & "&#039;"<BR> set rs=cn.execute (sql)<BR><BR> click_counter = rs("hits")<BR> click_counter = click_counter + 1<BR><BR> sql = "UPDATE software SET hits=" & click_counter & " WHERE downloadurl=&#039;" & url_link & "&#039;"<BR> cn.Execute (sql)<BR><BR>end if<BR><BR>rs.close<BR>set rs = nothing <BR>cn.close<BR>set cn = nothing<BR><BR>response.redirect url_link%&#062;

Default RE: Download Counter/Hits Tracker problem

looks OK to me. seems like your host is getting overly anal-retentive with you.<BR><BR>wanna change hosts? I do full ASP3.0 for $100 per year, no complaints about your code.<BR><BR><BR>j<BR>