Security for ASP's bit of a tricky one !

Thread: Security for ASP's bit of a tricky one !

Default Security for ASP's bit of a tricky one !

Ok folks here is a fun one. (stick with the cgi!) <BR><BR>I have been asked to run a CGI program on a web server. the input will be posted from an HTML form on another specific web server, but by a user on a random pc on the net. Once the cgi has run it will goto an ASP page and create an entry in an ODBC database, after that it will POST the information back to the origional IP address but another HTML form.<BR><BR>All this is simple enough! BUT...... I somehow need to secure the system so that other people whom have not come through the "customer web site" cannot use the cgi. I do not as yet know if the customers web server will support ASP pages, so I cant use them at that end, but have to use HTML! Anyone got any ideas! <BR>I know that there is a CGI script that will do a similar job, but I was hoping that I could do it with ASP code. Even getting hold of the DSN address that the user came from would work. ie page last visited 150.150.150.142.<BR><BR>HELP!

Stephen Fisher Guest

Default RE: Security for ASP's bit of a tricky one !

Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") returns the IP the user is assigned.<BR><BR>Request.ServerVariables("Http_ref errer") is where they came from. You can resolve the IP of the name in the HTTP_REFFERER somehow as well.<BR><BR>Does this help?

Default RE: Security for ASP's bit of a tricky one !

Thanks, I think that should do the job nicely!