is there anyway

Thread: is there anyway

Default is there anyway

to protect files that are meant for downloading by certain groups of people only?<BR>say i have a group belonging to marketing and i upload a file<BR>http://myserver/myfile.jpg<BR>is there anyway i can protect the location of the file?<BR>even if i carry through a value in an id, is it possible to protect the url, so that users cannot pass the url to other departments?<BR><BR>any ideas will be much appreciated thanks :)

Default RE: is there anyway

the best way i can think of . is to have an asp page which checks the users id. then rediects then to the file. this way they will never see the url where the file sits.

Default hmm..

The problem with Albear&#039;s method is that under certain circumstances, the URL may be visible. After all, all you are doing is sending the client a HTTP header which says "OK, now go to this file". That header could be cached, or the client browser may even log that in their history.<BR><BR>There are lots of ways, depending on the scope and size of the project.<BR><BR>The most reliable way is to use Microsoft Site Server. You can even simulate a login provided certain conditions are met, meaning that you only need one Site Server login and password. However, Site Server&#039;s expensive, so it&#039;s not the solution for everyone.<BR><BR>However, if the files are small (I MEAN SMALL - &#060;50KB), you could stream them back to the user, using the Stream object. There&#039;s an article on 4guys about how to use the Stream object to serve a document to a user. If you do it with larger documents, you risk the ASP page timing out while it&#039;s serving the document to the user.<BR><BR>Craig.