Caching images

Thread: Caching images

Rokea Guest

Default Caching images

Can any one tell me if it is possible to cache only images??<BR><BR>The thing is.. i am building a project using plain html and ASP, access database. Naturally, i dont want the web pages to be cached because i have to look up/download some data from my DB using ASP. <BR><BR>The problem:<BR>some of my pages will include from 5 to 15 images, ranging from 10 to, in the worst case, 20K. rapid count, 15 images x 20K, 300K, add to that the html: 315K, that is, in my worst case. Most of the time, my pages wont exceed 100K total... but 300 could happen, im still in the first phases of the project.<BR><BR>without caching, 300K is not very fast on slow connections.. since for the most part this 300K is out of images (jpg/gif), i would like to put in the browser cache only the images (since anyway those images are totally independant from the asp code). This way, i could gain a lot of speed.<BR><BR>Any ideas how this could be done??<BR><BR>Thanx for your time,<BR><BR>Rokea<BR><BR><BR>

Gary Van Sluis Guest

Default RE: Caching images

Rokea, your question is more sutied to client side caching. ASP wont help you since you can pretty much connection pool. Nothing realated to what you want. If I were you I would do one of two thing. On your page I would lowsrc all my images with a few K images. Black and white and simple. This way the other images will download in the backround and the client can read teh stuff. Else you can use javascript and use an image obect to preload the images into the clients cache, which is probably more along the lines of what you want to do.<BR><BR>Hope that helps<BR>Gary