OCX Controls.

Thread: OCX Controls.

Ryan S Guest

Default OCX Controls.

OK, here is a tricky one for me at least.<BR>I have several OCX&#039s that work just fine in a VB application, but now I need to web enable them. How can I pass information from 1 OCX that is on 1 ASP page and when I go to the next page have that information available for the next OCX.<BR><BR>I hope that made sense.<BR><BR>Side note: I have an OCX on an ASP page that asks for first name, last name and e-mail. How do I pull that information from the OCX to my ASP page?<BR>

keithadler@hotmail.com Guest

Default RE: OCX Controls.

OCX controls have the life of the page they are on. Taking this into account ... there&#039s a number of ways to do this, but the one that pops off my head is to:<BR><BR>1. Create client-side code that occurs when the previous page is submitted that stores the value(s) that you want in hidden text boxes before actually submitting.<BR>2. On the next page, you can then retrieve the property values from the previous page&#039s OCX by looking at the Request.Form collection under the name(s) of the field(s) you used to store the values.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Also, keep in mind that OCX&#039s are client-side and code very easily be customized by the developer to store data locally on the the user&#039s machine ... but this is sort of an unsafe use of OCX&#039s ... since users are left to trust the maker of an OCX to not change anything on their machine.

Rokea Guest

I would say you have 2 ways of doing this,, either you program a new method in your OCX that would enable you to read data from it (a Get method), or you could, at the time of putting the data inside your first OCX, also put that data in a session variable (or a variable or a hidden text field - whatever storage method), so that you could read back from that variable with your second OCX.<BR><BR>Rokea

Ryan S Guest

Keith, <BR><BR>Thanks a bunch, but I was hoping for some code type examples. The theory is what I understand. I just can&#039t to it in practical applications.<BR><BR>Is it possible to write a cookie even to the client PC then retrieve that value on the next page?<BR><BR>

Ryan S. Guest

Is it possible to get an example of how to pull information from an OCX into a session variable?<BR><BR>I am still confused on this topic.